Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Father's Day Love

Ok, ok, this post is way super old. Sorry! But I thought it was worth sharing anyway :)

In honor of one of the many important holidays throughout the year, I made my dad an extra special card. Jennifer McGuire was featured on the Hero Arts Blog for a week earlier this month, and she focused on resist, so I decided to give it a try! Very easy and very fun, with great results, if I do say so myself (and I do)! I tried to keep it as masculine as possible considering it was for father's day, but I don't own much in the line of manly stamps...nature (minus flowers) seems to be a relatively safe bet when it comes to members of the opposite sex. Green and blue are typically Ok as well, but....mixed together with tealy blending ends up being rather feminine. Woopsies. Sorry Dad :)

Supplies: Cardstocks by Recollections, White Embossing Powder by Stamp'n'Stuff, Distress Inks by Ranger (applied using the Blending Tool), Greeting by Hero Arts, and Branch Clear Stamp by Inkadinkado

I love the addition of the cute little banner with the greeting. (I forgot to take a pic up close from a side angle--sorry! Trust me, it's 3-d!) The card looked so naked without it, and I had seen a quick tutorial by Julie Ebersole (from Amuse) on how to do them. Very quick and simple, and such a fun addition that really rounded it all out with simple contrast and a nice weight in the corner. Yay :)

I did a small bit of matting and distress-inking on the inside where I hand-wrote my message. I love inside matting; it gives a card such a finished, crisp feel.

One thing I did learn from this project was to keep in mind the size of the card and thus, the needed envelope. I measured the width and then totally forgot about the height on this bad boy...had to get rather creative with the end-result envelope. This is also something to keep in mind when it comes to cost/postage. As learned on earlier cards, foam dots add enough thickness that they can bump you up in class. Heh :)

- mLe

No comments:

Post a Comment